Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Halloween Wishes

Amy Rysavy has started another amazing Halloween card series at her blog, Prairie Paper and Ink.  She's one of my favorite stampers and I am crazy about every card she makes.  Yeah... she's my stamp crush .  Don't tell her I said that.

Anyhow, watching Amy's videos motivated me to break out my Halloween stamps and paper and make a card of my own.


There's a whole lot going on here, huh?  I may have been influenced by watching several episodes of Junk Gypsies all in one day.  I just kept adding things until it seemed like enough, and then I went back and added a bunch more!  

I started out with a print and cut postcard image from the Silhouette website.  At the time I printed it, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with it - I just thought it was cool, and wanted to use it for something. It sat on my desk for a week and a half.  

I wanted to make a card with doilies on it.  I love the over-the-top, decorated-to-the-eyeteeth style of Becca's at Amazing Paper Grace.  Every one of her cards looks like it's ready to go to prom.  I wanted to emulate her style, which is not my usual style.  I wanted a card that was girly and glamorous, and ready to be voted Prom Queen.  

I sponged the edges of the postcard image, and distressed one corner.  Then I grabbed another Silhouette die cut for the doily.  All three of these are from the same pattern.  The polka dotted one is an inch bigger than the black and white ones.  Yep - the white one is the same size as the black one - I'll get to that.  I cut all three doilies, sponged the edges with Distress Ink, then sprayed them all with water and crumpled them up.  This changes the texture of the paper... makes it softer and gives it dimension. I love how these doilies come up off of the card.  I took the center piece from the white doily frame and did direct-to-paper inking with Distress Ink in Ripe Persimmon.  I wasn't thrilled with the lack of definition between the orange moon and the black doily, so I grabbed the white doily (that I had cut and then discarded, deciding it wouldn't work) and adhered it to the back side of the moon, while pleating it a bit.  Perfect!  

I cut three of the witch shapes from black cardstock.  Again, from the Silhouette store.  Using spray adhesive, I stuck them together to get a sturdier shape.  Using Tombow Mono Multi glue and Martha Stewart glitter, I glittered my witch.  I popped her up on foam tape, and then used a Sharpie marker to color the sides of the white foam tape so it wouldn't be easily visible.  A little bling, some Distress Stickles on the polka dotted doily, a little ribbon (Michael's) and a stamped spiderweb in the corner (Michael's $1 stamps) and I was done.


For the inside of the card, I used scraps left from the front of the card (Authentique - Enchanted) and another page from the same 6x6 paper pad.  I grabbed the cobweb stamp again and stamped it across the top.  I love how...spidery this web is!  There's no sentiment yet, as I haven't decided who I will send the card to.

I hope to get more Halloween stamping done, and to share it with you!

Enjoy,
Wendy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I'm so glad you like my first Tangle, and have had a shot at it! Fancy your hubby thinking it was a stamp... Brilliant! I hope you'll show us what you did. I am very thrilled to have started with my own tangle designs and to get my first one accepted on Tangle Designs!

    Have a great weekend.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

Followers